User Tag List

Thread: What are "Temporary Activations" (and how do I get one?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What are "Temporary Activations" (and how do I get one?)

Rockwell's Temporary Activations are designed to give prospective customers the ability to "try out" or "demo" Rockwell software products for a limited time.
    And the way you request a Temporary Activation (TA) for a Rockwell software product is to call your local Rockwell Authorized Distributor (or Rockwell Automation Representative) and ask for a...

Click here to view the full article at TheAutomationBlog.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Central Activation Storage

Hi Sean,

I think you are correct about the practice of "getting by" to save money with temporary activations when providing support. But there is another option. Perhaps my suggestion below can help:

The expense of a Toolkit can be a hindrance for companies that want to use AB products but are reluctant to so because of the high cost of field support. A company with support personnel in the field may find it difficult to provide activations for everyone. Many of them may not use the software that much either. This is where the borrowing feature can work well using a VPN connection to a central server that stores the activations. In most cases, just a few activations can be enough for many users depending on the use of the software. The field user can borrow or simply be connected to the VPN server when using the software.

The server needs to have the Activation Manager installed running to provide VPN access to activations. The server administrator downloads the activations from Rockwell when the annual toolkit is obtained.

The users in the field must have the Activation Manager software running on their computers and be connected to the VPN server in order to access the activations. In the Manage Activation tab, the "Update Activation Server Path" can have the IP address of the server added. A port number is also necessary and it is usually 27000. Enter the path using this example: "27000@192.168.1.13"

• An activation can be borrowed for hours, days or for the entire length of the agreement. Once all or whichever activations are borrowed (download all if not sure) the software can be used for that length of time without being connected to the VPN server.

- or -

• the activation for the specific software is ready to use when connected to the server.

It is suggested that the use of the activations are closely monitored by the administrator or the borrowing can get out of hand where all activation are borrowed for lengthy amounts of time and never returned leaving none for everyone else.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Good morning @dadadadeo

Thanks for your detailed post!

For other readers I should clarify that while some customers attempt to request more than one Temp activation for the same product as a way to avoid buying software, the RA or Distributor folks filling out the request really should know this has always been against the policy and should not process repeated requests.

That said, your Toolkit/VPN suggestion is one we see a lot of integrators using in the North East, however my constant reminder to them is to set the max borrow time to something shorter than the default - something like 24 hours - less someone accidentally borrow a license for months and then forget about it!

I do miss the $2000 Toolkit bundle for a single set of activations. This "developer" edition was great for those one or two person integrators.

Unfortunately, while RA now has low cost toolkits for OEMs, there's nothing close to $2000 for small integrators.

Thanks again for your post!

Shawn Tierney,
    TheAutomationBlog.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!