User Tag List

Thread: Why does it take my PanelView Plus several minutes to boot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Why does it take my PanelView Plus several minutes to boot?

I recently had a customer call with a very strange issue: His PanelView Plus was taking over 5 minutes to boot. Calls to tech support and several other troubleshooting steps lead nowhere.

Not knowing what else to do, I asked the client if he could send me his HMI and PLC programs...

Click here to view the full article.
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same error, but the symbols never load

Double posted question.
    Last edited by pico-dc; 08-07-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Double post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Shawn,

I've been helping a customer after a power outage try to get one of his PVP panels working again. The messages are the same as the ones in this article about symbols loading, but the symbols never end up loading on the panel.

Power cycling doesn't appear to change anything. Ethernet communication appears fine. I checked RSLinx Enterprise and only the associated hardware is listed. I even added the PLC (ACD) file to the panel so that RSLinx could access Offline tags.

Any additional ideas that might be helpful?

Thanks,
    pico-dc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Good morning @pico-dc,

My first guess would be the PVPlus loaded an old version of the application - when downloading a new project to a PVPlus, a lot of people forget to set the new application as the default startup app, so on reboot the old project loads.

My second guess is someone changed or "fixed" the communications path using the configuration menu on the PVPlus, and because it was a changed there and not in the PVPlus application/project, the setting was not retained on a power cycte?

It also could be someone changed the tag names (or something else) in the PLC and now it no longer matches what the PVPlus is expecting...

A good step to troubleshoot the issue would be to create a new project with a single display that has a few numeric displays reading values from the PLC - if that works then you know it must be an issue with the old project, and not a hardware issue.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor at www.TheAutomationSchool.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I appreciate the quick response!

There were old versions of the application on the PVPlus. I tried to load those but still got the same error.

It is highly unlikely that tags or communication configurations were changed, but I'll double check that along with setting up a single screen the next time I'm on site.

One other thing that I forgot to mention was that the battery light on the PLC was on. Would that have any impact on whether the symbols load or not?

Thanks Shawn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Good morning @pico-dc,

So the battery light on the PLC being on means the battery is almost dead or already dead.

This could result in an old program being loaded into the PLC's memory from non-volatile memory (CF card, SD card, etc.)

You might want to connect to the PLC to insure the "Overhead Timeslice" is set to 20% or more to insure the PLC will take enough time to communicate to the HMIs.

You may also want to compare the running PLC program with the program the users think is running in the PLC - they could be different as people often forget to save updated programs to non-volatile memory.

Hope this helps!

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor at www.TheAutomationSchool.com