0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flex IO Configuration Storage Location and Online Running Configuration

Hello,

Part 1:
    The flex IO modules have similar settings to standard chassis IO where you can set the fault state of the inputs/outputs, etc in the event of a fault on the main controller. Where is this configuration information stored. I know the modules are "smart" but is it stored in the 1. AENT(R) 2. The actual plugin module (ie8) and if not, where is it stored.

I've looked through a lot of Rockwell's information, but although Rockwell has generally great info, it can be difficult to find specific pieces of information in their between there reference manuals, user manuals, selection guides, etc.

So if someone can tell me or knows in which document this information is located, that would be fantastic.

Part 2:

The selection guide for remote IO says these devices can be configured online while in run mode without affecting the process (1794-SG002F-EN-P Page 36), however I want to change one of my analog inputs from 4-20ma to 0-20ma (1794-IE8) while online and running, but when I go to apply the system brings up this huge warning about another ownership module possibly losing complete communication to the card because it enters a temporary configuration mode and could possibly be stuck there forever because it doesn't accept new connections while the module is in such a state. Now, in a single system I know there is no other owner PLC, but I have a redundant system, could changing this config while online completely mess me up? The procedure they suggest to it "inhibit" the module, but anyone who works on a critical system knows that's just not an option.

Thanks all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Good afternoon @jlofft

Part 1:

The best way for me to answer this is to say that when using CompactLogix and ControlLogix with local I/O modules, or distributed I/O on ControlNet or Ethernet, all the module's configuration is stored in the I/O's Controller tags, and it's written to the module when (1) the PLC goes into Run, (2) When the module is physically plugged in while the PLC is in Run, (3) if the module is inhibited and then un-inhibited while the PLC is in run, or (4) when you make a change and click on apply/OK like you mention doing - I believe this last option wasn't there from day one as we use to have to inhibit / un-inhibit the modules back in the day.

This is different from RIO since you needed to use block transfers to configure modules on it (at least those that don't have dip switches or jumpers like the 1771-IFE.) And if you use DeviceNet, you can use ADC as a option similar to Ethernet, but typically you just program each adapter's configuration with RSNetworx and then map that configuration into the scanners memory.

Part 2:

I believe the issue they are referring to is that if you have two PLCs set to own the same I/O, then if you download a change to the module, when it comes back up there's no guarantee which PLC will taker ownership.

But to be honest, you really should never have two PLCs trying to own the same I/O since only one PLC can actually own the I/O at one time, so it's good to hear you don't think you have this issue.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney
    Instructor at www.TheAutomationSchool.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Shawn,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and sorry for my late reply.

With regards to #1, then if I try to reconfigure the input (I basically inherited a live system that can never be shutoff, so practicing/testing these specific things is difficult) while the system is running, will the card accept the input live or will rslogix temporarily blink the card to accept the new input? My only real option with my system is option #4. Will inhibiting the card hold the last read input state or what does that do to the communication and values coming from the card in a controls sense.

Also if so if you know of any documentation that I can read through that discusses this, I would be more than happy to dig through it. It's just that Rockwell's documentation can be a quite the labyrinth when trying to find a few specific pieces of information and it can also be distributed through several documents.

By the way, I really enjoy your youtube videos and you provide great info. Thanks a lot!

Thanks,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Good morning @jlofft,

Thanks for your comments and reply! I really need to give some credit to our Patrons who make it possible for us to stay online: https://www.Patreon.com/automation

That said, if you don't have a test system to be sure your changes will work as you need them too, then even if you consulted directly with the factory it might not be worth the risk to make the change and hope that everything works as documented and expected.

Instead, it may be much less risky to buy another adapter and module and add that to your system while it's running. I wrote about this a few yours ago here:

https://theautomationblog.com/contro...ing-io-online/

I guess it just comes down to risk versus reward.

If the system can't be taken down to make this change, and the change isn't important enough to warrant spending the money for a new adapter and module, then it's probably not worth perusing further since it sounds like it would better not to make the change then to inadvertently take down the system.

Best of luck!

Shawn Tierney
    Instructor at www.TheAutomationSchool.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!