0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Tips to Optimize Your Smart Factory for Maximum Efficiency

Whether you already have a smart factory or are creating one, you undoubtedly want to operate it at peak efficiency....

Click here to view the original article on The Automation Blog
    The Automation Blog Auto-Posting Account

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Automation Blog For This Useful Post:

Shawn Tierney (09-11-2019)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Thanks for your article Megan.

When I first read it, I wasn't convinced of the merits of some of the suggestions.

I mean, using data collection to inform process improvement is definitely something many plants don't do but should. Many are already collecting data in HMI/ SCADA or Historian software, but finding the time to examine it seems to be the issue.

And I do like the idea of involving operators in how the machines are working. While I don't know any operators who are that familiar with "smart factory" concepts, they are usually the people who can tech you how the current technology helps and hurts their efficiency.3. Update Your Factory Layout Every Year

But upgrading your plant layout every year seems to be going a bit too far? I know some high volume OEMs who definitely would benefit by examining the layout of their facilities, but 99% of the plants I've been in can't dream about changing their layout without a major capital project.

And honestly, aside from the OEM example, most production facilities make the products for years at a time. Yes, those making disposable consumer products will have a lot of change over, but even then companies like Pepsi and Coke find ways to use the same production lines to make a variety of products in a variety of containers.

That said, thanks again for the article. While some of the points didn't hit home with me and the manufacturing facilities that I'm familiar with, there was still a lot of good advice in your article.

Thanks again,

Shawn Tierney
    Industrial Automation Blogger at TheAutomationBlog.com
    Industrial Automation Instructor at TheAutomationSchool.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!