0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

EDS file export

I was looking to put together a nicely packaged portfolio with my latest project that has more than a handful of unique devices. I spent some time selecting the proper EDS files in order to commission the line and they were not the kind that could be uploaded from the devices. Is there any way that I can 'export' or something to grab the correct files to attach into my project documentation? Running the v20 version of RSLogix 5000 here and the module properties don't seem to have any right click options. Is this something I might be able to see in an L5K file perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Good morning @jamesonline, I've always downloaded any A-B EDS files that were not included with RSLinx (and not uploadable from the device) from Rockwell's website - looks like this link will take you their: https://compatibility.rockwellautoma...&q=EDS%20files . Hope this helps, Shawn Tierney, Instructor at TheAutomationSchool.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Tierney View Post
    Good morning @jamesonline, I've always downloaded any A-B EDS files that were not included with RSLinx (and not uploadable from the device) from Rockwell's website - looks like this link will take you their: https://compatibility.rockwellautoma...&q=EDS%20files . Hope this helps, Shawn Tierney, Instructor at TheAutomationSchool.com
    Hi Shawn thanks for the suggestion unfortunately it's not the wonderful Allen Bradley devices that are causing my jam up here its a cognex barcode reader. I've ended up just attaching the folder of a dozen files and guess it's better to have more of them than the one you need missing. It would be nice to have the eds library a bit better managed though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Totally hear you @jamesonline!

I wish every device had the EDS file on-board, but when DNet came out that wasn't required (I'm told it actually requires a small memory chip to hold the file itself.)

Back during DeviceNet's heyday before I would help someone integrate a non-A-B DeviceNet device I would require they first obtained an EDS file from their vendor because so many vendors made it nearly impossible to find them! :-(

Have a great night,

Shawn
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!