Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

MicroLogix 1100 Keeps Getting 0.0.0.0 IP

dear sir,
    my ML 1100 plc has acquired Bad ip (i.e. 0.0.0.0) from PC(after enabling DHCP in RSLogix500).
    and now even ping command is NOT getting successful.
    I have tried to replace whole PC with another new one with fresh network adapter driver but plc is acquiring
    same ip address(0.0.0.0).
    it gets cleared when ethernet cable is unplugged and plc is powered-on again.
    But it acquires same bad ip address (0.0.0.0) when ethernet cable is again connected.
    i guess ethernet-port in plc may be blocked or something else.
    please tell me that what can be done about this problem in order to reuse my ML 1100 plc.
    thanks alot !
    Vikas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Good morning @vikas,

I would suggest a good first step would be to run the below test, and I'll add some additional information for others who might stumble upon this thread:

- Unplug ML1100 from Ethernet

- Unplug your Laptop from Ethernet, and disable your Wifi

- Turn the ML1100 off

- Set your PC to a static IP address like 192.168.1.1, with a mask of 255.255.255.0 (https://theautomationblog.com/ethern...cs-addressing/)

- Reboot your PC

- Plug your PC directly into your ML1100

NOTE: The above step should work unless you have a very old PC the does not support auto MDI-X, in which case you'll need to plug both devices (but only those two devices) into an Ethernet switch (or connect them directly using an uplink cable) More info about this at https://theautomationblog.com/ethernet-basics-hardware/

- Open the free Boot-P utility the gets installed with RSLinx Classic

- Wait for a minute to see if you get any requests - if you do see requests with the ML1100 off, one of the above steps was not done.

- Once you insure the BOOTP utility is not seeing any requests, power on the ML1100

- After a moment you should see the ML1100's MAC address (as shown on the ML1100 https://theautomationblog.com/findin...d-mac-address/) show up in the list

- Now use the Boot-P utility to assign the ML1100 an IP address on the same subnet, like 192.168.1.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 (https://theautomationblog.com/the-sl...s-using-bootp/)(https://theautomationblog.com/ethern...cs-addressing/)

- Ping the ML1100 to be sure the above procedure worked (https://theautomationblog.com/how-to-ping-a-plc/)

If the above Ping worked, then it appears you have something else on your network that is handing out invalid IP addresses.

At that point you can either assign the ML1100 a unique static address on the same subnet as your other devices, or work with your IT department to resolve why your network switches or servers are providing your ML1100 an invalid IP address.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor at TheAutomationSchool.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dear sir ,
    I have tried many things but plc keeps getting 0.0.0.0 ip
    one thing can short out this behaviour of micrologix 1100 , that is:
    can we think to perform hard reset on this plc to bring its communication settings to factory defaults.
    i know that It is possible in SLC series PLCs from AB by shorting the contacts "VBB" and "GND" for 60 seconds.
    But i am not finding these labels OR the IC3 (U3) ( RAM) in the CPU module of PLC.
    Can you help me about hard reset this PLC by any means.
    thanking you sir!
    Have a nice day!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Good morning Vikas,

Did you try the procedure I posted above?

That would have answered what was causing the issue.

As far as how to reset the unit, did you check the users manual?

Sincerely,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor at TheAutomationSchool.com.
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn Tierney For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Micrologix 1100 communication

Sir,
    After following the concerned procedure , it may be concluded that the program and channel settings inside plc may be the root cause of getting 0.0.0.0 ip.
    i'm saying that because 'enable dhcp' option was selected in rslogix500 before download was performed to plc. And at that time it was showing 0.0.0.0 ip and mac address was that of my ml 1100 in channel 1 settings in rs logix 500.
    i'm not using any network router but only single ethernet cable between plc end development pc.
    previously this cable was successful but not now .
    Moreover , i've tried changing development pc entirely with or without dhcp server installed but for no results .
    Additionally , any ip doesn't come after power cycling the plc; it gets assigned only when i connect ethernet cable to both.
    However , dhcp server in development pc providing good ip to another pc with same cable (ethernet) but not to plc.
    So, these are all what i'm trying . i have read user manual too,but not getting any clue from there .
    if anything can be done on hardware level then you can suggest me .
    warm regards to you .
    vikas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Good morning @vikas,

Thank you for sharing your tests.

With newer versions of the MicroLogix 1100, the only way to clear the memory is to use ControlFlash to reflash the Micro's firmware:

https://theautomationblog.com/how-to...mware-in-2018/

If you have an older version you can go online via the serial port and select "Clear Processor Memory" under the "Comms" menu.

You can also try just downloading a program with the correct IP Address in it.

https://theautomationblog.com/the-sl...g-rslogix-500/

Note - before erasing or overwriting the existing program I recommend backing it up first.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor at TheAutomationSchool.com.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn Tierney For This Useful Post:

vikas (05-24-2019)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dear sir,
    thanks for your this advice!
    I want to inform you that I got success in hard resetting this concerned ML 1100 series 'A' PLC (1763-L16BWA).
    Procedure is as follows:
    1.) remove all i/o connections to PLC; together with attached battery and AC power to it.
    2.) dismantle it to take out CPU module.
    3.) locate pins 11 and 12 in Samsung chip (static RAM)in this cpu module at the back side of display.
    4.) short these two pins for around 60 seconds or more.
    5.) and reassemble everything back.
    6.) now power-up the PLC to get an error code 0001 in LCD screen.
    7.) this is a good symptom and indicates that default program is loaded in memory of processor).
    8.) now old culprit program is gone!! Just communicate your plc and load blank program in it to get
    above error in LCD resolved.
    Above is the procedure to hard reset the plc without communicating to it.
    Thats all for now.
    thanks a lot to guide me in this successful work.
    Have a nice day !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vikas For This Useful Post:

Shawn Tierney (05-24-2019)